Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Conner and His iPad

    In high school when I was back home in San Diego, I lived next door to a very nice family with two little boys. Often times we would have dinner parties with them, which for me was more babysitting than actual contrasting. In fact, I babysat for these two boys multiple times a week. We would play basketball, football, air hockey, and they actually paid me for it too.
    This past winter break however, I saw that these two young boys had grown up and one was now approaching the time to go off to school. The youngest of the two, Conner, received an iPad from Santa for Christmas because of what he told me, “was because he was really good and it has math and reading apps so I’ll be smarter than everyone at school!” He then explained the deal he had to make with his mom in order to use his gift, “For every fun game I get, I have to get a learning app too.” This method seemed to have good intentions, but after being around Conner without his Mother in sight I saw that the usage of his iPad isn’t so much for learning. To this day Conner and I have an ongoing game of mini-put, this is fun for me, but I have been told means the world to a boy that idolizes me.
    Living across the country, I do not get many chances to go home, but when I do it’s inevitable that Conner and his brother will be knocking at my door daily. It’s interesting to see how both of them grow, but the one thing that has been apparent lately is their increasing dependencies they have on electronics. A few years ago we would play basketball for hours on end, now “outside-time” is considered a break from video games rather than visa verse.
    I can’t say that Santa’s gift of an iPad was all negative. Conner is asked by his mother to complete a few assignments which she assigns herself. They are simple tasks, however he is able to communicate and efficiently use many different mediums of technology. Before even going to his first day of classes he is a master at his times tables, he is a fantastic reader, and if his teacher asks he can turn in an electronic copy of his homework.
    I view technology and our youth as a double edged sword. Yes, kids these days are becoming exponentially attached to their newest gadget, but the tools they learn are essential in further schooling and adulthood in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment