Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Movement Into The Mobile Age


Before I took my first class at Florida State, I was introduced to Blackboard at orientation when I was asked to pick out my classes. Initially I thought Blackboard was strictly a tool used for creating class schedules, but once school started in the fall I realized that I would have to be checking my Blackboard account more than my Facebook profile in order to succeed. Blackboard provides students with up-to-date grades, upcoming assignments and tests, and also any other useful information that teacher’s need to address to their class. The user friendly features on Blackboard's website creates an even playing field amongst all students, regardless of varying levels of computer comprehension. The majority Florida States students, including myself, have little to complain about the current system, but the creators of Blackboard didn’t stop there. Last year they released the Blackboard Mobile App for iPhones, Blackberries, Android devices, and other handheld devices. 
On Blackboard's website they describe benefits of Blackboard Mobile stating, “Blackboard Mobile™ Central gives your community on-demand access to essential campus information, when and where they need it, helping you to attract and retain students, reinforce your brand, maximize your existing campus resources, and drive student engagement.”
In this YouTube video relating to Blackboard Mobile, professors from all around the country offer their opinion on transitioning into the utilization of mobile devices. The video is broadcasted through Blackboard so the responses are undoubtedly biased, but all seem to agree that future will have mobile devices becoming a more orthodox tool. As if monitoring your classes wasn’t easy enough, students can now check on their classes anywhere and at anytime. 
Blackboard is not the only organization transitioning into the mobile age. Anyone with a smartphone can view their account statements, check their e-mail, and remain current in news all around the world. It amazes me that people used to travel successfully using maps. I give complete credit to the Google Maps appliance on my phone for safely guiding me to and from my road trip to San Diego. Rather than spending time each day planning out which highways and roads to take, I hopped in my car, typed in my destination, and pressed Start Trip. Tools and mobile appliances enable the common human to multitask and complete everyday tasks in the palm of their hand.
Blackboard recognized this trend and created an environment that allows teachers and students communicate at an all time high. Personally speaking, the utilization of the Blackboard Mobile app has beneficially transformed my schooling experience. I am excited to see the future of learning, Paul Gathercoal from the University of Idaho said it best, “With Blackboard Collaborate the biggest limitation is your imagination.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment